Saturday, May 2, 2009

An all out assault

I've had it. Today I'm beginning (although some would say continuing) an all out assault on the American consumeristic, comfortable god. I'm certainly not the first to observe that such a situation exists. Today, however, I'm just fed up with it. I see it everywhere, in the church outside the church. I fight it every day both internally and externally. Many times people in the church are as guilty as those outside the body. We in the body have allowed people to claim that they follow Jesus and continue in their sycronystic ways of appropriating "God" to their culture's value of security and ease.

Just yesterday I heard a story about a guy who claims to be a follower of Jesus who thinks that it's alright to study the Bible for intense amounts of time and call that maturity all the while, never doing anything to tangibly love someone other than not kill someone and be a nice guy. Neil Cole would say that we have educated ourselves beyond our obedience. Paul would say that we are "always learning but never coming to the knowledge of the truth." Forget that! I'm done.

Seth Godin said on April 29th "we have enough caution. We don't need an abundance of caution. That's too much." Of course, he was talking about the business world. Nevertheless, the same is exponentially more true of the church. "A great deal more failure is the result of an excess of caution than of bold experimentation with new ideas. The frontiers of the kingdom of God were never advanced by men and women of caution.” -J. Oswald Sanders

When future generations look back on the current time, I wonder what they will see as our culturally accepted idolatry. Instead of words like, nice, pretty, sterile, safe, comfortable and secure, I want to be described as radical, innovative, risk taking, passionate, zealous, skillful and loving because I think those things should characterize people who follow Jesus. I want to go down as one who was waiting eagerly for the kingdom of God, with my hand fixed to the plow, and never looking back! I want to die beautifully exhausted and used up for the King so as to enter into His presence hearing "you've been faithful with a few things..."

2 comments:

Scotty said...

Right on Cody! I'm at the mall getting a dead battery replaced in my watch when Twitter hits and once I get into your blog I can't stop. Just have to say right on with those thoughts and we have to stir that kind of thinking and action so the church will better be what it should!

christine said...

Religion is an oxymoron meant to keep us under control. It is not real or true. You know what is true. Do not waste your time, energy or thoughts on this stuff. You are already one moving in sync with many others. Everything you feel is real. Listen to yourself and peace will be yours. It is an inside job.