Sunday, May 24, 2009

5 Arguments Against Christianity Part 1

A recent comment to this blog reminded me why I spent so much time and energy in graduate studies pursuing answers to common cultural questions. I summarized these questions and proposed answers in a paper written as a response to Nietzsche's Antichrist. While not posting the entire paper (email me if you want the whole thing) I will briefly summarize and give rebuttal to the 5 common arguments against Christianity. This is the first of a six part series.

There are four primary objections I find in Antichrist and one other that is common among postmoderns and finds roots in Nietzsche. First, Christianity, as a system of thought is intellectually inferior. Second, Christianity is unnatural in the sense that it values things (sympathy, pity, etc.) that promote destruction instead of life. Third, Christianity is delusional, in that it ignores the harsh reality of life and sees things through rose colored glasses. Fourth, Christianity is a power play (will to power) by the priests (apostles, pastors, clergy, etc.) for the weak masses. The other objection is that Christians themselves are culturally conditioned to be Christian as a result of the success of the power play.

1 comment:

白面具 said...

I'd read that paper (biminius [at] gmail.com)