Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A True Companion

Today is my wife's birthday so, I thought I'd write down a few of the things about her that make her special. First, Shayla is undeniably honest about her feelings. Even though this sometimes gets her in trouble, I think it to be a valuable trait. I never have to wonder what she's feeling. For a guy who's pretty thick, that's helpful. She is always authentic and never puts on masks and is absolutely never fake.
Second, Shayla is very intelligent. She has great critical thinking skills which enable her to cut through the crap when it comes to arguments and situations. Many of you know that she was the valedictorian of her HS class and finished college in less than 3.5 years before the times of dual credit in HS. This was just the beginning of her display of intelligence... you should hear our disagreements. I have spent years and thousands of dollars equipping myself with degrees in things like upper level philosophy classes only to be outdone by her superior intellect.
Third, Shayla is a particularly good judge of character. In 12 years of marriage and 5 years of dating, I have never known her to be wrong about a person's true self. As someone who's job involves dealing directly with people on a daily basis, she has been a help to me more than a few times. I have also suffered the result of thinking I was better at this than she is.
Fourth, Shayla is very compassionate and caring. Because of her ability to really see people, she has a very keen awareness of their thought processes. She regularly puts herself in other people's shoes and even when they're wrong, she has the ability to lovingly help them take responsibility. She is an excellent counselor.
Fifth, Shayla loves sacrificially. She has given up more for me and our kids than any of us will ever really appreciate. Every day Shayla puts her own desires and dreams on hold so that she can help me and our kids be the people we need to be. She relentlessly gives her physical and emotional self to us. She has persevered through poverty, depression, and my horrible gas.
Sixth, Shayla loves truth, justice and mercy. She appreciates frank conversation and doing what is right, especially towards others. She despises phony platitudes, superficiality and shallow relationships. Her preference is for authenticity, honesty, and compassion.
Lastly, Shayla continues to grow. She is always looking for ways to improve herself. She has an inspiring tenacity and a holy dissatisfaction with the status quo, which I love! Shayla values progress and embodies that herself.
In the words of Jack Nicholson, Shayla makes "me want to be a better man." And for that, I am truly grateful to God. Shayla is an example to others how to love Jesus by embracing a sacrificial lifestyle of self-denial so you can truly live. That is what makes her an unmistakeably beautiful person. Please join me in wishing her a Happy Birthday!

No comments: